Hawaiian Quilt Snowflake Links and References
I found these websites and book resources to be very helpful in researching Hawaiian Snowflakes.
Before the first contact with Western people, the Hawaiians made a type of quilt called a Kapa, which was made by pounding the bark of the Wauke (Mulberry) tree into a fabric on which they could print geometric and snowflake designs.
You will find the trees, native birds, animals and flowers in most Hawaiian snowflake quilt designs.
Resourceful Links on How to Make Hawaiian Snowflake Patterns
This site is not responsible for any of the content in the web sites listed below. I am not affiliated with them in any way and do not profit from recommending these links.
- Hawaiian Quilts: Tradition and Transition
- Hawaiian quilting comes home again
- Hawaiian style of quilting has international appeal
- Hawaiian culture sewed up in quilts
- History of Hawaiian Quilting
- Nancy Rink Designs, displays her award-winning Hawaiian Snowflake Quilt
- Quilt Hawaiian talks about the tradition of Hawaiian Quilting and offers tutorials and a video about Hawaiian quilting.
- Kwilts 'N Koa offers quilting classes, and sells beautiful Hawaiian quilts.
- Hawaiian Quilting Love to Know
- Poakalani and Company gives instructions, tips, and hints for cutting Hawaiian patterns
- History of Hawaiian Quilting gives a nice brief history of Hawaiian quilting and offers quilt pattern kits
- American's Quilting History nice site covering not only Hawaiian quilting but historical reference on American women's quilting craft
- June 2004 Challenge: Hawaiian Appliqué! many very nice photos of quilts
- Quilt Professionals offers history of Hawaiian quilts, connections to professional quilters
- Hawaiian Quilting with Nalani
- Quilts Hawaii - free patterns
Hawaiian Petroglyphs, Sand Drawings & Rock Art
- Big Island Hawaii Petroglyphs Let's Go Hawaii
- Kahiko.com Excellent site for learning about Hawaiian petroglyphs
- Petroglyphs Hawaiian Rock Art This site sells replicas of Hawaiian petroglyphs. Their petroglyphs are carved one at a time from photographs taken at actual rock art sites.
- Slide Show with large photos of Hawaiian Petroglyphs plus smaller thumbnail images that click to large photos - nice reference site for North American rock art too.
Interesting Resources for Hawaiian History and Culture
- Kamehameha Day a public holiday of the state of Hawaii in the United States.
- Flag of Hawaii Day
- Kamehameha IV
- Queen Emma of Hawaii
- Pearl Harbor Day
- Official Emblems of the Hawaiian Islands. Explains the meanings of each Island flower.
- Niihau - Pupu Shell - White
- Kauai - Mokihana (Green Berry) - Purple
- Oahu - Ilima -Yellow
- Maui - Lokelani (Pink Cottage Rose) - Pink
- Molokai - White Kukui Blossom - Green
- Lanai - Kaunaoa (Yellow and Orange Air Plant) - Orange
- Kahoolawe - Hinahina (Beach Heliotrope) - Grey
- Big Island of Hawaii - Lehua Ohia - Red
- Photos of Native Hawaiian Trees
- Plants of Hawaii
- Monstera or Split-Leaf Philodendron
- Hawaiian Shells Nice photos of Hawaiian sea shells
- Glossary of Hawaii Native Language
- Original Hawaiian Flag